Tuesday 2 September 2014

Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney vs Dani

[Warning – this post was originally just about the one game, but now that it’s easily doubling the length of any other post so far, I feel I should mention that at least seven games get discussed, and all of them spoiled. And all of them are Professor Layton games.]

I love things that make me feel smarter – I love puzzles, brainteasers, riddles, trivia competitions, Trivial Pursuit, quiz shows (the British ones, too, because they’re clearly the smartest) – so along with Puzzle Agent, Puzzle Agent 2, an awesome DOS one from my childhood called Blockman, and just about every point-and-click game in existence, it was inevitable that I’d love anything Professor Layton. I’ve also read every Poirot book, so clearly Phoenix Wright would be my thing, too.

Well … sort of. The Layton games hardly ever gave me any trouble, but goddamnit, for a game that the Internet tells me is aged “10 and up” for complexity, Phoenix Wright kicked my arse. I got stuck on the third trial of the first game, then had to return it to my friend from whom I’d borrowed it because I was taking too long. She told me I’d need a walkthrough, and I didn’t believe her, so I staunchly refused to use one. On the one hand my pride is intact, but on the other, I never cleared Edgeworth of murder, so I guess my arch-rival got lethally injected, like, a year ago. Uh … victory?

Thankfully, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney let you use Layton’s hint coins to help you with Phoenix’s trials, so I only had to consult a walkthrough once to find out when to present evidence – and that was only because I’d accidentally clicked the wrong thing, and then didn’t know if I’d mis-clicked or whether my real answer was just bad. I can’t believe how smart Layton makes me feel, while at the same time Phoenix makes me feel like I drank ferric chloride because I thought the iron boost would help my brain think gooder.

The game: Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

Why I didn’t finish it earlier: Like Stick of Truth, I broke the rules and bought it last week. I knew it would only take a couple of days. But if something were going to stop me from finishing it, it would’ve been the ending. OH MY GOD WHAT GAME NEEDS AN EXPLANATION THAT LONG?

Comments: I haven’t really played enough Phoenix Wright to know how well this one performed in comparison to the previous games, so I’ll be mainly talking about the Layton side. That said, both lots of characters and playing styles seemed very true to the originals, so good on them for not totally sacrificing either.

Now, I won’t go out of my way to say that the Layton games are the best. I love them, but let’s just say if we were in a relationship, they’d be calling the police on me for abuse every night as I took them to bed, professed my love, and then threw them against the wall while ignoring their cries for mercy. I absolutely adore the first and third games, don’t mind the second and fifth games, kind of dislike the fourth game, and utterly loathe the sixth game. Jesus, I didn’t realize there were so many of them until I typed it. If you don’t know, the structure of the Layton games is basically, the Professor and his apprentice Luke arrive in some mysterious location (aptly named something like ‘St. Mystere’), discover that some weird crap is going on, and spend ten to fifteen hours solving small puzzles in order to find the solution to the overarching mystery of the weird crap. So, I only have three criteria for these games:

1. The small puzzles are good;

2. The big mystery has a good, airtight solution; and

3. The ending has to make me cry.

I’m not sure how many other people cry at games aimed at pre-teens, but I say it’s as acceptable as crying at a slightly worse written, somehow less plausible version of Toy Story.

I … tend to cry at stuff.

The first one (Curious Village) had excellent puzzles because the game was fresh. Finally, puzzle writers could exercise their creativity and unleash all their head-scratchers into the world! The overarching mystery had a satisfying ending that tied up all the crazy loose ends (turns out, the secret of the curious village was that it was robots). And I don’t remember if I actually cried, but it had dead parents and a sad orphan girl being looked after by freaking robots. Come on, the only thing that would make it sadder is if a seven-leaf clover and a dog with a time-travelling owner was involved.

The second one (Pandora’s Box) still had great puzzles, and mini games that were way cooler than the first one. Making tea for disgruntled villagers? Yes, please! Spot-the-difference? Hell yeah! But the overarching mystery was less cool. This strange town was weird because the residents believed a vampire lived in a creepy, old tower, but it turned out there was a massive gas leak and everyone who came near it started hallucinating and … thinking they were immortal or something. Still, the ending involved an old man who didn’t realize he was old meeting the granddaughter he didn’t know he had, and then maybe dying on her. My memory’s a bit fuzzy on this, possibly because I was watching it through so many tears. So it was pretty good; I just found robots more believable than mass hallucination.

The third one (Unwound Future) was about time travel, which immediately made it awesome. Also, by this stage I was used to the games revealing that whatever ‘magic’ seemed to exist was total bullshit, so I spent the whole time going, “Okay, it’s probably not really time travel. So how the hell do they have a future-Luke, future-Professor, and a whole goddamn future-London? And also, if it’s not really time travel, who the fuck is this future-Luke that brought me to the so-called future in the first place? I don’t care how smooth-talking and Yuri Lowenthal-voiced he is; I don’t trust him!”

And … well, I was so correct that the pride still hurts sometimes. It wasn’t the future: it was a massive underground recreation of the city made by some rich kid with enough money to exact revenge on people he hated. Otherwise known as, the ultimate fantasy of everyone ever. There was also a dead girlfriend involved, so hooray, more crying!

Then, by the fourth one (Last Spectre), things started going off the rails a bit. For starters it was a prequel, which rarely bodes well for anyone (I’m looking at you, Arkham Origins). Second, the puzzles were running out of steam: they’d used up all their tricks and classics and resorted to things like puzzles that involved counting cat silhouettes, an easier version of a Sudoku with cat-shaped paperweights, and running a cat through a maze. Even for Japan, this was overloaded with felines. Seriously, I haven’t even brought up the puzzles ‘Cat Catcher’ and ‘Coax the Kitty’, nor the fact that a cat is a somewhat-major character. But hey, when a franchise has given you almost seven hundred puzzles, some of them are bound to be duds.

The real problem with Last Spectre was that the big mystery – what is this spectral monster that rampages through the city at night? – doesn’t involve robots, nor hallucinations, nor spoiled rich kids. No; the solution to this one is that it’s actually a monster, just a slightly different monster than everyone expected. Um, right. That gave me no pridegasm whatsoever. Also, there’s a dying girl that people don’t like for some reason, who’s actually not dying for some other reason, and she probably lives happily ever after, but I didn’t care about her enough to really remember that part. There may have been some vague anti-pollution implications at the end, too. You think that’s going to make me cry, game? What do you think you are, Animals of Farthing Wood?



Jesus Christ. Just … I can’t believe that show existed.


Sigh. Okay, I decided to give the fifth game, Miracle Mask, a chance. And it was a bloody big chance, because I bought a 3DS specifically to play it. Looking back on it, I’m not entirely sure why I had so much faith.

Thing is, I really liked the overall story. Not necessarily the mystery about this amazing, magic mask (shock horror, it’s not magic, and doesn’t really do anything at all), but the fact that it’s all about Layton’s dead childhood friend, Randall, and the fact that his (Randall’s) butler got rich and married his (Randall’s) college girlfriend. Only, as they find out at the end, Randall wasn’t really dead, and he was pissed off. How good is that? I mean, dead-guy-who’s-not-actually-dead is overdone, but who cares? By the time it was revealed, it was pretty obvious what was going on, but just imagining all the horrible guilt and pain all the characters must have been going through as all the hints and signs came together … I wanted to write the goddamn movie.

Only, the game is a kids’-and-only-kids’ game, and as such doesn’t like to go too overboard with characters experiencing emotions besides inappropriate enthusiasm and mild bewilderment. So when Professor Layton finally came face-to-face with the man he now knew to be his long-dead bestie, he gave nothing more than a bemused frown and a chastising speech because Randall had been mean to the butler.

The puzzles were adequate, although weirdly action-y. I had to run away from spinning, slicing robots and ride horses through an obstacle course. Normally most of the Layton gameplay is staring at the screen, so I was not prepared for this amount of finger-moving and button-pressing. The overarching mystery was … well, irrelevant, really. The ‘miracle mask’ was of no value to anyone, especially me. So all this game really had was its cry value, and it had so much potential. Like, all the crying fuel in the world was contained in a few boxes of text, so much so that I wanted Layton himself to burst into tears. And when he didn’t, I was upset. I was angry that the opportunity had been wasted. I wanted more sobbing than my last Toy Story marathon, and instead I got all the sobbing of a Legally Blonde marathon.

You might think that meant no sobbing at all, but you clearly haven’t seen me watch Legally Blonde. There were still some sniffles here and there, but more at the concept of what the game could have been, rather than what it was. What it was, was an affront to emotion itself.

All the bad stuff aside, this one energized me for the sixth one, Azran Legacy – the first game that I ever watched Bill play over his shoulder just to see if he’d get as furious at it as I did.

It got high ratings on all the review sites, so I can only assume the reviewers had never played another Layton game, nor any game that wasn’t designed by molluscs in vaguely-humanoid form. There was practically no big mystery, only about three of the puzzles had any kind of difficulty, the mini-games were awful, and most irritating of all, the characters stopped to have a conversation or give you a tutorial on every single screen. You move from one back alley to the next – and believe me, in these games, you do a lot of alley-scrounging – and suddenly Layton is teaching Luke the wonders of tapping your stylus on garbage can lids or reminding him how feet work. Worse still, the previous installments laugh at you if you haven’t clicked on every man, woman, child and object at least three times, so you can’t possibly just skip over certain locations.

This just … wasn’t a Layton game. It felt so utterly different, didn’t even care about revealing that magic was fake, and didn’t make me cry even a little bit. Not one stupid tear.

So.

That was my last thought about all things Layton before buying Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. I had been burned, but I remained optimistic. The tables had turned: now the game was my abusive partner that had somehow managed to convince me to not only stay, but also to give it heaps of money. And … it was all right.

Well, actually, I can say it’s all right now, but it’s the sort of game where if I go to read reviews and they’re all overwhelmingly positive, I’ll start to get annoyed and talk about how shit it is and how it’s insane that people don’t see it. Kind of like Final Fantasy, or The Dark Knight Rises.

I love the puzzles, and I love the trial mechanics, but let’s be honest: this game had problems. Weird problems. At one point it actually glitched out on me, not giving me the correct answer options for a puzzle. I didn’t even know hand-held games still had glitches, but then, I guess I haven’t been on the lookout for them since Missingno. Luckily, like the previous Layton installment, this game pretty much removes all possibility of actually getting a question wrong and gives you infinite attempts without any punishment, so it wasn’t exactly a GTA-style gamebreaker.

Another issue was the instructions in the puzzles. Normally this is very straightforward: you get a box of text on the top screen of the DS, telling you in about three sentences what you need to do to solve the puzzle, and a nice little picture on the bottom screen to admire and maybe click on.



Example.


Now admittedly, that was an easy one. But compare that to this one, in which you have to shuffle sixteen dolls of a variety of colours around a grid of rooms:




Or maybe that doesn’t seem too bad, either? Well, there’s always the fact that no, in this puzzle each doll does not speak for its entire colour set, and you have to only focus on one specific doll for the entire thing, ignoring literally all the others. If the blue doll said, “Don’t put me next to a red one,” then that just means one blue doll has to be not next to a red one. All the other blues and reds could deal with it. I mean, I thought that might have been an important detail, and that by saying the exact opposite the game was kind of lying to me, but whatever.

Some puzzles’ instructions, I just didn’t even understand. I’m not sure what was going on, but it felt like the Japanese-to-English translators had given in their two weeks’ notice and had just stopped giving a fuck. And some of the puzzles introduced mechanics that were never explained, nor ever used again – right at the end there’s one where you can scroll left and right between multiple screens, and it took me far too long to figure that out, but seriously! I spent the entire game not scrolling, why would I suddenly do it like it’s the most obvious thing in the world now?

I just never had this kind of trouble with the other Layton games. They made sense. The instructions were clear, and if they introduced any new methods of puzzle-solving, they at least strongly hinted to you what you were supposed to do. I may have had issues with the stories, but the technicalities were always solid. I’m not sure what was different here. Maybe if I actually read the credits I’d be able to pinpoint whom to blame.
Okay, enough about puzzles. Let’s get into the incredibly mediocre story.

Basically, the main characters from both original series get sucked into a book that takes them to a weird village. The weird village is medieval and likes to hold witch trials and murder adolescent girls. The characters happen to take a shine to the most witch-accused girl in the village and spend the game trying to prove her innocence, while also getting accused and murdered themselves.

Now obviously, with my Layton mindset, I assumed all the magic was bullshit and there’d be some eccentric rich guy paying a lot of money to kill the women he didn’t like. I mean, you actually see women getting locked into boxes and thrown into flames; they wouldn’t put that kind of brutality into a kids’ game, would they? But the thing is, I don’t know much about the Ace Attorney games, except that one of the characters is an honest-to-god spirit medium who can channel the soul of at least one dead person into her body. Would the writers of those games object to having real magic in this one? So I had to be tentative about calling bullshit.

And, well, the magic at the start was pretty convincing. Statues come to life and start attacking a guy’s car, crazy alien-looking witches fly around London, and you actually see the characters get sucked into the book after seeing their own pictures in the illustrations. I don’t think there’s any non-magical way to explain away all that.

Well, this game has a very nice, neat way of getting around that little problem. Queue drumroll…

and…

They just ignore it!

That’s right. Of course, the witches and murder in the mysterious book-village are all fake and given an extremely tenuous explanation involving hallucinogenic flower juice and the inability to see the colour black. But the thing is, all that only applies to the book-village, which of course is actually a top-secret government research facility. The entire introduction to the game takes place in normal, everyday London, and not a goddamn word is said about how witches were able to fly around the Tower Bridge? How the fuck did regular English statues come to life to attack a protagonist’s car? Because that was kind of the moment I assumed that at least a little bit of magic was real, and I feel pretty ripped off that my right to correctly solve the game’s mystery was impeded by a total plothole.

Googling ‘Layton Ace Attorney plot hole’ yields a number of results that must be awkward for the designers, but quite frankly most of the complaints are things that even I know you have to let go. Layton games are based on the premise of ridiculously-implausible-but-kind-of-possible-I-guess, so issues like, “Why didn’t anyone ever run into the invisible machines?!” aren’t really on the same level as, “If the magic was a result of invisible machines and hallucinogens, how did Layton see the magic before he’d set foot near a machine or inhaled a whiff of hallucinogen?”

As a side note, to all those people posting on forums that the court cases were too easy: fuck you. Seriously, fuck you all hard.

I had other gripes, of course. Mainly about how they completely disregarded the coolest character in the game, Inquisitor Barnham, after all the awesome work they did building him up at the start. He was the prosecutor in almost all the court cases, hell-bent on burning the witches, yet also sympathetic to Phoenix Wright’s insistence that truth is more important than creating more teenaged girl ashes. But then at the last moment, one of the maybe-evil characters has him arrested so he can’t be involved in the final trial. And then... nothing. He just kind of sits around in jail until a cutscene right before the credits shows him driving a boat. Um, good for him, I guess?

Also, while most Layton games involve a little bit of cry-worthy death, in this one, death was handled kind of clumsily. While no witches were actually burned, a shit-ton of people die. A dude commits suicide and is subsequently strangled by a kid who didn’t know he was already dead, for one thing. More importantly, the whole witch fiction exists in the first place because two girls accidentally caused a fire that engulfed the entire fucking village, killing everyone who lived there and traumatizing the aforementioned girls for life. This is serious business. And yet, the only time a main character is faced with death, the interaction goes a little bit like this:


DYING GUY: Daughter, I’m dying.

DAUGHTER: What? But our fraying relationship was just starting to get better!

DYING GUY: It’s incurable.

DAUGHTER: My fragile heart is breaking!

DYING GUY: But don’t worry, I was lying about it being incurable. I’m going in for treatment tomorrow.


Yeah.

It’s easy to talk about the bad parts of a game. Usually more fun, too. But to give credit where it’s due, there were some things I really loved. They balanced out the Layton bits and the Phoenix bits quite nicely, crossing them over well. I loved having Layton in court and Phoenix solving puzzles. It was extra great when the characters were split up due to geography or being fake-murdered, so you got to laugh a bit at Phoenix being crap at puzzles. And when Phoenix was sucking in court, it was amazing when Layton came to the rescue. Actually, a lot of the game was at Phoenix’s expense. I’m okay with that.

The voice acting, even though there wasn’t much of it, was actually really great. It’s really weird being so used to high-class English Layton and then being given a giant dose of American in the form of Phoenix, but I liked it. There was one particular actress, Carina Reeves, who voiced one of the main witches, and there’s a fantastic scene of her character being interrogated in a trial, when she just snaps. She’s laughing maniacally, repeating her defence over and over again while taunting you that you can’t find any holes in her story. And she just sounds excellent. It was only like three sentences, but it was a real highlight for me.

Finally, you can’t ignore the fact that this game is a crossover, and any crossover has to have massive amounts of gratuitous fanservice. Not, like, in the cleavage-y sort of way, but more in the Thor-fighting-Captain-America way. The audience wants Layton in a court room, and that is what they get, and it is freaking amazing. Layton shouts, “Objection!” Layton and Phoenix yell, “Take that!” simultaneously. There’s one point where Layton hints that he’s going to go against Phoenix in court, and when I saw that, I got little happy chills. Then it actually happened, and I started squealing with happiness. In the game Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, they actually did go versus each other! It was wonderful. Layton wasn’t as ruthless a prosecutor as would have been hilarious, but still. What more could you want?

I mean, y’know, apart from all that plot and puzzle stuff.

It was very good, apart from that.

Aaaand maybe the ending was a bit too ridiculously drawn out. I also lost the last trial on the last possible decision of the game, and had to go through all the explanation of the entire solution twice. That was a bit of torture.

Aaaand one little thing that bothered me was that there was a baby in the book-village research facility. Who lets a baby be born in a research facility centered around hallucinogens? What a bunch of psychos.

Aaand the game was a little bit sexist. I get that Layton’s all ‘gentlemanly’ and ‘chivalrous’ like he is in the other games, but in this one he turned it into overdrive and didn’t think girls were capable of doing anything for themselves.


But somehow that moment of Layton and Phoenix shouting, “Take that!” makes it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment